August 20, 2019•meshdiversity
MESH/diversity recently connected with a group at ICTAM for #EqualityEquationWpg to discuss the challenges organizations face when building solid D&I efforts. Here are 5 takeaways from the session that can help get your organization engaged and drive strategy.
1. Good and lasting D&I work begins as a communication challenge.
How can we engage people in a way that they can:
(a) hear: don’t hijack them
(b) understand: don’t overwhelm them
(c) integrate: it must make sense for their day to day
(d) engage: see as a “get to”
2. To do good and lasting D&I work, we must move beyond simplistic notions that knowledge and understanding are the keys that will move the dial.
3. A large part of the reason we have not made real strides in D&I for the last 30 years is that we have been relying on the same old strategies with little results.
4. The overt, obvious manifestations of sexism, racism, heterosexism, etc. are not the real challenges that face us as we look to drive real D&I change.
Only in this pointed effort can we address the business of creating cultures where all personnel can feel safe, a sense of belonging, inclusion and be truly engaged.
5. Hierarchies of social oppression are fundamentally self-defeating as a route to large scale change.